[OM] Re: OM-4 battery problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 battery problem
From: OM4 Land <om4land@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:52:08 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry guys, now I'm a bit confused about this whole beeping thing.

  I have an OM-4Ti, a chrome battery cap and 2 fresh D357H batteries.

  With the selector switch set to "Manual", "Auto" or "Battery Check" and with
the beeper switch at 12 O'clock or "ON"; the camera starts to beep
intermittently as soon as the second battery is dropped in place and before the
cap is screwed down. The Battery check light does not come on at this time.
Once the cap is screwed down the beep stops. If I then Select "Battery Check"
it beeps stronger and at a higher pitch than the "mystery beep", and the light
goes on - in other words it seems normal.

  I didn't give this much thought until I saw this thread and John's second
paragraph below. I just assumed that since I almost always have the beep switch
on the self timer set to "OFF", I never heard the beep that would have been
there if the beeper was set to "On" while I changed batteries.

  So please say: "That beep you get as you put the battery in but before the
cap in on is totally normal."

  Thanks,
  Barn

John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Black battery cap on OM-4?

Best philosophy and easiest thing to remember is that while LR44, A76
(alkaline) can be used in some cameras (XA2, OM-10, OM-G, possibly
others), silver oxide can be used in ALL Olympus cameras that use that
size. In OM-2/2N, LR44, A76 cause meter errors of up to 2 stops and can
cause shutter lock. Auto exposure is usually correct. The best way to
go is to simply use silver oxide batteries in all single digit OM bodies.

If the OM-4 battery check beeps all the time no matter what battery, no
matter the position of the meter switch, then you have real problems
(assuming you tightened the bottom cover screws and have the chrome
battery cap.)

___________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com | omtech1 AT verizon dot net

Lukasz Grabun wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 23:41:39 +0200, Tom Scales
> wrote:
>

>> LR44 = Bad :) You want 357 or SR44.
>

> Well, here are more details. The former batteries - which I removed
> for they were half-empty (silly me, never ever try to improve on
> something that works perfectly) - are labeled GPA76. As I said, they
> are only half-empty but when I tried to put them inside again it
> yielded the same effect: camera's beeped turned on and wouldn't stop.
> Interesting thing is the beeper beeps even though the camera is set
> to "MANUAL" (or "AUTO"). It wouldn't go off no matter what. Even more
> interesting: sometimes screwing the cover tighter turned off the
> beeper, it had to be "loosened" a bit to make the camera beep. Also,
> it beeps when I *touch* the battery that I placed in the slot with
> the other battery, holding it vertically.
>
> OM-2n seems to like LR44 and operates smoothly :-)
>
> Anyway, I'll try to get SR44s but somehow would put some more light
> into the case, I'd be most grateful.

List usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.