[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 23:25:56 +0800
Thanks guys for your advice. More will be welcome.  :)

One other question:
I'm not exactly the kind to be drawn necessarily to one brand more than
another - especially with spotting scopes, since I don't know much about
them - but in YOUR opinion, would brands matter and why.

Another question:
I intend to buy the spotting scope from the States. Where would be the best
stores to get them in terms of reliability, good advice, good service etc?
And in YOUR opinion, would you believe that purchasing a new one would
necessarily always be better than a preowned?

Yet another question:
The Meade Kestrel I spoke of briefly is supposedly waterproof. Now, does
that also imply that its general build quality (construction) is better as
in 'tougher'? Would it handle the occasional knocks and what kinds of impact
would it be alright with?

Heck, one MORE question:
Can I assume that the optical elements used in a spotting scope be
multicoated also? And if so, are they applied for the same reasons and under
the same principles as camera lenses? Furthermore is there a filter thread
at the lens front for mounting filters?

Just one last one now:
What exposure mode would you use your DSLR with when attached to a spotting
scope? Is the tripod that comes with it next to useless? Does the spotting
scope come with the same tripod bush size as that used in cameras?

Thanks a million.

K.

On 03/05/07, Jez Cunningham <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Khen,
>
> I have used my Kowa TSN 60mm spotting scope with an OM (and now with a
> N*kon
> DSLR)
>
> I bought a dedicated Kowa adaptor (quite expensive, has a least 2 bits of
> glass in it) that has a bayonet to connect in place of the eyepiece and a
> T-series / OM adaptor at the other end to connect to the body.
>
> It's engraved " 1:10.4 / 800mm " and you have to set the shutter speed /
> ISO
> to control the exposure.
>
> It doesn't give as much magnification as with the 40x eyepiece I usually
> use, but it's a fair reach (without it, the best I can manage is a f/2.8
> 200mm plus a x2 converter) so for the occasional bit of fun it's ok, but
> it's not a serious solution to anything.
> br
> Jez
>

> > khen lim wrote:
> > > Hi guys
> > >
> > > I have no doubts there're plenty of people here who have and are using
> > their
> > > E-series with spotting scopes.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx