[OM] Re: [OT]Can*n Keeps Moving

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Can*n Keeps Moving
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:05:12 -0400
I don't consider my 5D to be any uglier than an E-1.  But,
ergonomically, I don't consider it well designed.  It's getting easier
to use as I grow used to it but certain operations are very cumbersome.
  Changing ISO or anything else having to do with the row of buttons
along the top right of the camera is desirous of having two right hands.

I'm sure the designers intended me to depress the DRIVE/ISO button with
my right index finger and simultaneously rotate the selection dial with
my right thumb.  However, to view the settings panel on the top of the
camera at the same time requires me to hold my right hand and wrist in a
rather awkward position.  I find it easier to cradle the camera in my
left hand and depress the ISO button with my left thumb while rotating
the dial with my right thumb.  It's more comfortable but is still a long
reach for the left thumb and ends up cocking the display panel off
counterclockwise about 45 degrees making it more difficult to read.  If
the settings panel was visible on the screen on the back of the camera
instead of just on the top LCD panel the awkward hand angle wouldn't be
required.

Big ooops!  I just realized that the changing ISO setting is visible
through the viewfinder while twiddling the dial.  Not quite the same as
having it on the screen but obviates the awkward angle I was complaining
about.  Not sure why it's taken me nearly a year to discover this but,
as I said, it's getting easier to use as I become more familiar with it.
  Now, if they'd just update the firmware to put it on the screen so
it's in all 3 places that would be great.

Sheepishly,
Chuck Norcutt