[OM] Re: Fwd: [epson2200] Re: Prints that look like darkroom

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: [epson2200] Re: Prints that look like darkroom
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:26:12 -0500
> Giclée?
>
> This odd term crops up occasionally on American websites, purporting to
> refer to high-quality printing as in "giclée fine art prints."  It is,
> in fact, pretentious nonsense.

I thoroughly agree. This is a term that predates inkjet printers anywhere
but a lab. I'm not sure the exact timeline, but I know for sure that it
predates pigment ink.

The term, as used by curators and dealers, where pretention makes money,
means a print made on an Iris printer. I'm told that those are no longer
manufacturered, and may soon die a natural death, so I see the term passing
to a more general usage. When oringinally made, inkjet prints were very not
archival, so it made a difference. Today, not so important, except for
marketing.

As to archival prints, who among us really needs our prints to last more
than a good wet chromogenic print?

Bill Pearce