[OM] Re: Bogen 3232 - RRS add-on?

Subject: [OM] Re: Bogen 3232 - RRS add-on?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:02:58 -0700
Oops! My bad. There is no 310 that I know of. The "hex plate" comment
threw me off.

The 410 does not have a hex plate, it's a straight trapezoidal plate.
As I said, it's pretty easy to fit the 3271 to other tripod heads
with the odd bit of drilling and threading and such. And the plates
for it are easy to make as well.

Bill, here's an example of what I've done with this system:
        http://www.Bytesmiths.com/eBay/PIC00010.JPG
        http://www.Bytesmiths.com/eBay/PIC00021.JPG

On 20 Apr 07, at 19:36 , Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Bill Pearce wrote:
>>> This is most frustrating. I have the 410 gear head, and it comes
>>> with the
>>> hex plate as a part of the head. It fits nothing else under the sun.
>>>
>> I should have mentioned before that there is a matching QR adapter
>> for
>> that QR plate that will fit on other tripods. Even has a leveling
>> bubble
>> on it.
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
>> ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&
>> Q=*&bhs=t&shs=bogen+3271&image.x=0&image.y=0
>
> That fits the *310*, Bill was asking about the 410. Also, Bill
> mentions a "hex plate." The 310 plate you reference is not a hex
> plate, but an ordinary trapezoidal cross-section bar, similar, but
> not compatible with, the Arca-Swiss system.
>
> The "410" might have been a typo, but the "hex plate" reference
> made me think not.
>
> I've had good luck transplanting the 3271 QR to other heads, with a
> little bit of amateur machine work. No mill required, but a drill
> press really helps. In particular, they're quite simple to
> transplant onto the Bogen/Manfrotto grip ball head.
>
> I've also made lots of plates with 1cm aluminum and a table saw
> with a carbide blade.
>
> :::: If vegetarians eat only vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
> :::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-3033-17-18>

:::: Evolution can go to hell as far as I am concerned. What a
mistake we are. We have mortally wounded this sweet life-supporting
planet... with a century of transportation whoopee. Our government is
conducting a war against drugs, is it? Let them go after petroleum.
Talk about a destructive high! -- Kurt Vonnegut ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::