[OM] Re: [OT] alternative fuels debate response

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] alternative fuels debate response
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:17:41 -0400
Hey Jan:

I hope that you noticed that I didn't register a complaint during the first
barrage of messages. I found some of it interesting. But when it passed the
information phase and went into the debate phase and when I began to receive
more messages relating to your interchange with Barry (by a w-i-d-e margin)
than photography related subjects, I didn't consider it unreasonable to ask for
you and Barry to take it off list. What is the objection to that? That way, you
can continue your dialogue as long as the two of you care to do so without
involving others.

At times I have found other OT subjects tiresome, too (different strokes,
etc.). As you said, I know where the delete button is and how to employ it.
(Hmmm. Should I have used "utilize" or "use" instead of employ?) I don't mind a
lot of the subjects. They add interest to the list and many are informative.
However, I do think that some tend to be carried on longer than necessary. But,
if several people seem interested and enter into the discussion that indicates
(to me) that the topic is of somewhat general interest. When only two people
are involved in a two-way dialogue and it seems to go on and on, it seems
reasonable (to me) to take it off list, whatever the topic.

I suppose that some of us are trying to fill the discussion space with
something other than photography-related material since there is nothing much
happening with Olympus at the moment. We still have at least three months until
anything is expected from Olympus. So, what shall we discuss until the E-410,
the E-510 and the new E-x "thingy" hits the market? (IMHO, that could be a
topic of discussion in itself.)

I hope that you will take my "off-list" suggestion in the spirit in which it
was intended...a simple request and not an attempt at a rebuke of any sort. As
another member stated of himself, I too had simply reached the saturation
point. Even using the delete button I usually open the email to see what it is
about, since list members are notorious for changing the subject without a
corresponding change in the subject line. (BTW--that's another simple request
which would be much appreciated if it could become a reality. Change the
subject line when you change the topic, folks.) Do I expect a lasting change.
Nope. (I'm a realist in some aspects.) Do I expect that two-sided long-winded
discussions/debates will cease on the list. Nope. (See above comment.)  ;o)

I remind my fellow Zuikoholics that when one has a thirst for "Zuiko-related
stuff," the other stuff, even though occasionally quite palatable, doesn't
really satisfy that particular thirst. YMMV ;o) On the other hand, the sharing
of the broad photographic experiences of members on this list comes very close.
That's my primary reason for being on this list.

Peace,

Robert