[OM] Re: Favorite A-S plates, L-brackets for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite A-S plates, L-brackets for OM
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:03:49 -0700
I used a different Manfrottor quick release than Jan pointed out, but
I found the Acratech head with Arca Swiss style quick release plates
to be much more stable for long lenses. I can somewhat understand
Jan's comments. RRS makes a stroboframe style flash bracket for $180.
Different construction methods incur dramatically different costs.
Most of the Arca-Swiss style gear does look like jewelry but it is
very functional.

I hadn't seen the "gimble head" set up. That is nice. I try to always
carry a hex head wrench with to tighten any plates that might come
loose. Using it to reconfigure a clamp orientation probably wouldn't
be much inconvienence.

It looks like RRS now has nearly a half a dozen different ways to make
a slider for a macro set up. I think it comes down to weight vs.
flexibility. The Kirk slider with the clamp that can re-oriented looks
like a light flexible solution. An RRS MPR with the multitude of
different clamps that can be put on it offers more possibilities at
slightly more weight. If I were starting out now, I would probably go
for the more flexible solution hoping that I would be buying fewer
pieces with only slightly different functionality.

-jeff