[OM] Re: On Fred Miranda..

Subject: [OM] Re: On Fred Miranda..
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:39:56 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> In body VR/IS whatever is certainly seductive. I think it will not be
> long before N & C will put it in their DSLRs too.
I'm sure both wish it would go away. Their investment in proprietary
VR/IS lenses and the income stream from them is probably considerable,
let alone the marketing value of the system differentiation from other
makers.

I'll bet both have working sensor shift versions in readiness while they
play chicken with themselves and the smaller players who are introducing
their own sensor-shift models.

Whichever of C and N starts to lose the most market share will probably
introduce their own version first, forcing the other to follow. Or C,
with the most market share to protect and the bolder history of
cut-throat marketing, and bow to the inevitable and jump in feet first
on their own terms.

After all, they could have milked the 10D and maybe 20D for some time
before the inevitable cheap entry level DLSR was needed, but chose to
bring out the 300D anyway.

I wouldn't put it past them to be working on a system that works in
camera with normal lenses and at least claims to work in collaboration
with a new series of optical IS lenses for even greater overall
effectiveness (and existing lenses with new firmware?).
> Probably they will use a system that be turned off by mounting a lens with a
> better mechanism built into it.
Have to, really, lacking additional communication between lens and body.
> That way they can still separate themselves from the companies that do not
> have in their lenses.

Sounds like a difficult sell.... 6D with in body IS and my thoughts of a
70-300 IS or 100-400 IS evaporate.

Moose