[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Andrew Wiese <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 05:46:28 -0700 (PDT)

I'm aware of that; I guess the question is what happens if you decide you
need a crop and then pull out all the detail and sharpness you can, or other
post-processing where you approach the extremes of what the sensor picks up
- then a 5% loss might become significant.  I realize this may not be
practically relevant in most circumstances, but it's there.  Besides, as I
mentioned earlier, the images generally need tonal adjustment and I often
use sharpening software, so the images have to be re-saved -- they would be
compressed twice, increasing any (small) loss, as I understand things.

A.