[OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?

Subject: [OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:41:32 +1000 (EST)
Hi Wayne

> > Suddenly remembered that I actually have 2 Seagate SCSIs
> > which have been running 24/7 for about 7 years, but you can't
> > really compare SCSI to IDE in terms or reliability.

> I thought the HDAs were identical, just the interface different.

Build quality and MTBF is far superior in SCSI, as they are ment for
server or critical use. I only use IDE in my DNS servers as they have
been there forever but they also have small bearing fans to keep
the air flow over both sides of the drive. I suspect that one day I'll
power them down and they wont start again but thats what a good
automated backup using rsync is for :-)

However, I have noted in the past that some of the cheaper SCSI's
appeared to use the same HDA as the IDE equivelant, dont think
I would use them in critical servers though. SCSI's on the way
out now as other technologies are proving just as robust, and
cheaper.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.