[OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?

Subject: [OM] Re: Bullet proof internal hard drive?
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 02:39:10 +1000 (EST)
Hi

The secret to long lived IDE/SATA harddisks is good ventalation.
Heat is your enemy. I have Seagate and other branded IDE drives
that are still going fine after a few years continues usage BUT they
are mounted in 5 1/4" aluminium heatsinks, and have good air flow
over the shell as well as the stepper motor heat emitter on the bottom.

My primary name server has a Quantum 170Mb IDE harddisk in it,
been going since 1997 :-)

SCSI's on the otherhand are better build, better designed, and thats
what you pay for. Good airflow is also applies. I have 2 SCSI drivers
in a server downstairs that have been going 24/7 since 1999, and
the SCSI drivers in my RS/6000 and PC Server 720 are also still
going strong after many years.

The only drives I've had fail on me I'm sure are due to bad
air flow/high temp's, or because I needed some more coffee
coasters.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

"If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good." - B Gates, 1994