[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 00:10:27 -0700
No, of course, there is not enough biodiesel for the cars on the
road. Nor is there enough arable land in the US to grow  enough corn
for conversion to ethanol to fuel our cars. There is not one
solution. There will be many solutions, some that are already
available and some that will be completely new all in a big mix.

It will be inevitable that there will be mandatory reductions in
automobile fuel consumption larger that were recently talked about.
Besides diesel there will be hybrid cars, plug in hybrid cars, the
next generation of electric vehicles with its engine optimized just
for charging batteries, high mileage and low pollution,  new gasoline
technologies like that the new Golf GT. There will be more public
transportation and an interesting new idea in that vein is being
talked about. Regional mass rapid transit that will carry its
passengers in little pod like electric cars that can get you exactly
to your destination no matter how far apart the main lines are.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA