[OM] Re: P&S cameras CCD's versus MOS sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: P&S cameras CCD's versus MOS sensors
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:13:42 -0400
On 4/2/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ScottGee1 wrote:
> > Amen.  I've been following the market closely as I'm looking for a 'carry
> > everywhere' digi P&S to replace my Oly C2020Z.  Well, I'll keep the 2020 and
> > dedicate it to infrared shots.  ;o)
> >
> > Interestingly, no-one but Fuji seems to be able to find a balance between
> > noise and detail retention.
> Indeed they are. It's important to note that only part of that
> accomplishment is superior CCD technology and processing. The other
> factor is that they are simply using a bigger sensor. The F30 et. al.
> sensor is about 82% larger in area than the typical sensors used in the
> tiny 3x zoom and the 10x+ superzooms. Adding in Fuji's unique sensor
> site shape design, the actual light sensing area of each pixel is
> probably at least twice the size of the others.

Thanks for reminding me about this.  I mentally lumped all the P&S
sensors into the "too damn small" category and stopped differentiating
a while ago.

Interestingly the Fuj! E900 specs at 1/1.6" while the F30 is 1/1.7"
but jams an additional 3MP on it.  It's the only model Fuj! has in
their "Enthusiast" category.  A number of very positive reviews posted
to the Web.

The F40fd also has a 1/1.6" sensor but with 8MP.  And it's just under 1" deep.

> That means their cameras using this chip require larger lenses, to cover
> the bigger sensor and end up being bigger cameras than the "comparable"
> competition. You can get a camera with the same specs/features as the
> F30 that is much smaller and lighter, although not with the same image
> quality. That diesn't really mater much with the Fxx series, as they are
> already easily pocketable.

A very attractive feature.

> > And in their 'F' series they have done away with VFs,
> No great loss for me. The VFs on little cameras have stunk since before
> digital, with only partial coverage of the actual frame, parallax errors
> and a tiny view through a tunnel. I remember the slight shock one day
> when I remembered that my S110 had a viewfinder and looked through it.
> The F10 does have a problem in bright light at certain angles, where one
> sees only ones own reflection in the LCD, but a hat raised to cover
> works. The F30 LCD is much improved and visible in any light I have so
> far encountered.

> > ignore IS
> I doubt Fuji is ignoring IS, I think they just don't have the technology
> at the moment. Design or license both cost money. With IS, the
> S6000/6500fd would be a much more attractive camera.

Over the years, I learned to use my face as part of the 'grip' to
steady the camera.  So the lack of IS AND a VF is a kind of double
whammy.  But maybe I can learn some new tricks.  Shoot!  The way
things are going, I may not have a choice!

> > A couple of the C@non IS models look interesting but noise again becomes an
> > issue at ISO400 and above.
> Canon seems to handle noise more gracefully than most others, but it's
> still  a problem. The S3 IS is attractive on paper and in tests, but in
> person I found the small LCD, uninspiring EVF and slow focus at the long
> end of the zoom in moderate light disappointing. Unless the Panny TZ-2/3
> show something new, I may be back looking at the S3. Of course, you may
> be looking for a shorter zoom range. The F30 leaves me wanting only a
> greater zoom range, so I have been looking at 10x+ zooms to fill the gap
> between F30 and DSLR.

Well, let me know if your F30 needs a new home where it will be well
fed and get lots of walks.  :D

> > Well, it's an issue for me because I want to be able to without flash in
> > relatively low light situations.
> >
> No competition in that area to the F30, not even close. Even the flash
> modes can take advantage of the low noise to give more natural looking
> shots. And there is a mode where it takes ambient and flash shots
> sequentially with one push of the button, so you get your pick.
> > Maybe I'm simply expecting too much of a small sensor.  But then again, if
> > Fuj! can do it . . .
> >
> Well, yeah, sort of. The F series, and the F30 in particular, stand out
> from the crowd for being designed for image quality and easy access to
> important controls, but it's partly the bigger sensor.

Many thanks for all the insights!/ScottGee1