[OM] Re: dpreview, NR and the TZ-3 [was OT Panasonic DMC-TZ3 review at d

Subject: [OM] Re: dpreview, NR and the TZ-3 [was OT Panasonic DMC-TZ3 review at dpreview]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:12:03 +1000
It's a fair point. I've tended to criticise their high ISO
performance as I think it's something that they should fix dammit but
otherwise the TZ-1 and I assume the new TZ-2 and 3 which I haven't
seen yet provide a lot for the package. Equally I've tended to praise
their designs and I do own a Leica D-Lux 3 as a walk around compact -
it's a really nice Panny body.
We seem to forget that these TZ's are 'Traveller' cameras (that's
what the T stands for) and that in the old days, most people were
happy with a handful of en-prints in their hand or the family album
after their trip. Of course it's not supersharp but it's a very long
lens in a small package and I'll bet most of they buyers are happy
with it. Superzooms are always a bit softer than a 3x zoom. The
'smearing' is designed to smooth up pictures or people who will
probably never enlarge an image beyond 8x10 and perhaps not even
that. For people who tend to look at what's in the image rather than
the quality of the print.
Too be fair, the number of people who own this and do some PS
processing or use Neat Image or Noise Ninja must close to
infinitesimally small so the question still remains - if Fuji can do
it, why not Panny? Because they know bloody well that they can get
away without bothering. That's what they actually know. A smaller
manufaturer like Fuji has to do something clever, like the S5 Pro I
just sent back - that is quite something!
And on the Nikon P5000 I just spent some time with - a joy to use
but, guess what, at anything over ISO 400 it's chroma ugly in low
light! Good job it takes that cute little flash.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx