[OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Power source for T28 modelling lights
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:59:06 -0700

> From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The AC Adapter 3 is rated at 6V 3A. I have a 500mA DC supply that
> I have used to verify that all the lights operate correctly...

Did they operate correctly?

If so, don't worry, be happy!

You aren't going to damage the lamps by too little current; you MAY
damage the 500mA power supply, but if it's a decent one, it will be
current-limited and the worst that will happen is that the lamps may
be dimmer and last longer.

In short, you'll never damage a resistive load like incandescent lamps
by giving them too little current. Assuming your 500mA supply is an
essentially dispensable wall-wart, just use it until it complains. Put
your hand on it every now and then to see if it's getting
uncomfortably hot. (If it's a more expensive supply, it might be worth
sticking a voltmeter on it to see if it's "sagging" under the load.)

But more importantly, I seriously doubt if the modeling lamps draw
anywhere near 3A. That would be 18 watts, which would surely melt the
plastic housing of the T28 before too long!

I don't know what they have down there where you stare at the Southern
Cross while standing on your heads, but here in Consume The Earth
Land, we have something called Radio Shack, where you can get a 6VDC/
1A wall-wart power supply for under US$20. If you shop around a bit,
you can find one in electronic surplus places for probably US$5 or so.
My favorite is All Electronics:
        http://tinyurl.com/yohspl

:::: Jan (running Leopard Beta, and don't have my signatures moved
over yet) ::::