[OM] Re: OT Hoi Polloi, was More Salt in the Wound

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Hoi Polloi, was More Salt in the Wound
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:53:06 +1000
There's a pub near me called the Paradise Hotel. We used to think
that it was because it was the only watering hole for a fair distance
but the the area was once known as Paradise Valley.
Australia has a rich variety of borrowed names, although were all now
quite good at pronouncing (probably) inappropriate aboriginal names
like Tangambalanga and Wooloomooloo. The ones that annoy me is the
insistence in Western Australia of pronouncing the town Albany with a
short A (as in 'all') and the insistence in Tamania of pronouncing
Launceston as 'lawn-ces-tun' instead of 'lawnstun'. Pure foolishness.
A favourite is the Melbourne suburb of Sunshine which is a grim and
malodourous industrial slum.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx