[OM] some winter shots & scans

Subject: [OM] some winter shots & scans
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:42:53 -0500
Here are a few shots from this winter taken close to home in NJ. All
were taken with an OM-4 using fuji superia 400 developed at costco and
scanned on an epson V700.

I used a kiron 28-210 on these
@~50
http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/7A26/19.HTM
@~28
http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/7A26/21.HTM

and a z 35/2 on these
http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/7A12/01.HTM

http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/7B06/14.HTM

My wife bought me the epson scanner for xmas. Since then I've wondered
whether it was a gift or a means to keep me out of her hair. Life was
MUCH simpler before the scanner as I just used costco scans. But I now
realize how cooked they are/were. (I still get the costco scans as
they're cheap - $3 per roll and I can use them for screening.) After
much learning from the list, the web, and a lot of fiddling my
'workflow' is stable at this point until the next in a long series of
gotcha's pops up.

At this point, I scan raw at 2400/in. to 16-bit tif and do the heavy
editing in a batch file using ImageMagick. I don't stay with 16-bit as I
don't (yet) have a GUI editor that supports it nor the horsepower req'd.
Vuescan is also out at this point due to horsepower as it totally
absorbs my WinME 384Kb machine. (Once I bite the time bullet and get
another machine I can revisit the raw scans.)

Using IM from the command line allows me to do other things as it runs
in the background. It stretches the color range/histogram without
clipping, does some contrast/curve adjustment and applies a color
profile xform from epson scanner to RGB. I output a second file with
heavy LCE for later layering. I use photofiltre studio for the layering
and minor editing, removing the f'ing dust and the rare flare which, at
least for me, is a bear to fix and ONLY occurs on what I consider to be
good shots. I now realize that a stitch in time saves a LOT of work with
the dust and flare!

Anyway, that's how I've been spending my winter 'vacation' :-)

Comments and especially critiques welcome.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)