[OM] Tilt lenses was Re: Macro flash bracket project

Subject: [OM] Tilt lenses was Re: Macro flash bracket project
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:23:39 -0000
Mike's mention of the Zoerk tilt adapter for increased Macro DoF got me
thinking.  The Zoerk adapters are very appealing examples of engineering
ingenuity, but they come at a price.  And there is at least one Tilt/Shift
lens in OM-mount, because I have it.  But it isn't ideal for macro, being a
35/2.8.

And put on a 4/3 digital body, it isn't ideal for its intended use (as
architectural shift lens) either, having the FoV of a 70mm lens on an OM
body.

BUT it dawned on me that the tilt facility allows to regain one of the
trade-offs of the half-size 4/3 sensor, which gives more DoF than is
typically the case on an OM body.  But just as tilts allow gretare Dof for
macro work, so careful use of the tilt allows me to very significantly
*reduce* the DoF, ideal for protraits, for which the 35mm FL on a 4/3 body
is also ideal.  Result!

My lens is at heart a Arsat/Volna 6x6 lens remounted, came new from Ukraine
via the auction site.  The feel of the helical is somewhat agricultural, and
the shift/tilt by thumbscrew is slow - on eor two list members are welcome
to chime in with their recollections of using it.  A 24/3.5 it certaily
isn't, but it does the job.  280095888768 is the one I have, but the seller
has 45/65/80 and 120mm Tilt/shifts available, some of which have the
Hartblei chassis.  LL reviewed the Hartblei 45/3.5 (for Cont@x 645) here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/hartblei45.shtml

The Hartblei lenses are also available from Misha Fourman at KievCamera in
Atlanta (although Hartblei themsleves appear to have moved on to Ze!ss
lenses for their chassis).

Examples of the reduced DoF:
http://www.hartblei.eu/Hartblei%20Demo%20107.jpg
http://www.hartblei.eu/Hartblei%20Demo%20169.jpg
http://www.hartblei.eu/Hartblei%20Demo%20316.jpg

Recommended for a "different perspective".

--
Piers