[OM] More Salt in the Wound [Was: Re: OT Typos]

Subject: [OM] More Salt in the Wound [Was: Re: OT Typos]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:36:56 -0700
> From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Can your spell checker be set to automatically run before sending
> emails?

On my computer, spell-checking is system-level, interactive, and
ubiquitous. (Well, except for Microsloth applications, since they
break Apple's Programming Guidelines.)

Misspelled words you type in ANY application show up with a red
underline as you type. Then right-clicking that word gives you a list
of corrections, and selecting one pastes it over the misspelling.

Oh, and some of you Mac users may not even know this: hover your
cursor over any word anywhere -- even in dialogs and read-only stuff
where you can't type -- and press CMD-CTR-D (for Dictionary?) and a
little window will pop up with the definition of the word, with a
submenu for a thesaurus.

That's why if you see a misspelling in one of my emails, it's becuz I
wunted it thet wey! Butt of corse it won't help with homonyms.

I know you can sorta do some of these things in some contexts in
Windows by paying more money, but it sure is nice to have it work the
same way everywhere, and maintained by Apple so it never breaks or
costs extra when you upgrade.

:::: Evolution can go to hell as far as I am concerned. What a
mistake we are. We have mortally wounded this sweet life-supporting
planet... with a century of transportation whoopee. Our government is
conducting a war against drugs, is it? Let them go after petroleum.
Talk about a destructive high! -- Kurt Vonnegut ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::