[OM] Re: RE : Re: OT Typos

Subject: [OM] Re: RE : Re: OT Typos
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:02:31 -0500
> Bill, did the change occur when we switched to a 'paperless society'?
 In a sense. The great sea change was when desktop computers replaced cold
type and pasteup, and sending work from the print shop to the client. Then,
every secretary, sales manager and advertising manager became a print
person. When the printer was no longer responsible for errors, that was the
end.

> I left radio (local NPR affiliate) and print journalism in '78 --
> teletype still ruled so markup was still very much in use.

When the recession hit the airplane business around 1980, I like many
others, needed a career change. I had some past experience in broadcasting,
and went to public radio. When I got there, we had a teletype machine, just
like in the late sixties and seventies. By the time I had been there almost
ten years, we went to a tractor feed printer fed from an AP special box to a
system that fed a desktop computer.

That seems so long ago, and I feel old..............

Bill Pearce