[OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]

Subject: [OM] Re: Salt in the wound [Was Re: (OM) OT XP thoughts]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:09:32 +1030

Jan,

You, sir, are incorrigible... you KNOW just I can't help myself...
please see (mainly vague attempts at humour) comments inserted...

davidt

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:13:20PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> I'll start: mine is working fine. I thought about re-configuring the
> registry today, but I don't seem to have one.

- .profile, .loginrc... depending on your shell you have _ultimate_
    control.  Thanks Mr FreeBSD!

> I also considered de-
> fragging the hard disk, but there isn't any software, Mac or third
> party, to do that, so I guess I'm feeling left out.

- built into the OS & happens all on it's own, Thanks Mr FreeBSD!

> I looked around
> for "crap that installs itself at start up," but I couldn't find any,

# ls -R /etc   |grep ^rc
# ps -a | egrep ^[0-9,A-Z,a-z]d$

> and I couldn't find the Mac equivalent of "Startup Inspector"
> anywhere for me to buy.

- see above! part of the base the OS. Thanks Mr FreeBSD!

> I tried to download some drivers, but every
> disk or camera or peripheral I use just seems to work without much
> downloading.

- unless it isn't available under usbd/kextd, then you're right up the
   creek... however, if you can find some essential data about the
   peripheral & it's similar to something else, you can likely hack it in,
   using the usb mas storage (umass) driver. thanks Mr FreeBSD.

> I'm really baffled, because people keep telling me my
> Mac was too expensive, but they're buying all these utilities that no
> one is making for the Mac -- I guess they're right that there is less
> software for the Mac!

- one more good thing:  Virus scanning & eradication for a Mac is very
    quick & easy (WARNING: this is a joke, do _NOT_ do this!):
# killall -9 WindowServer

BTW if you own a Mac & are starting to get interested in the wonders of
UNIX, this is an excellent page to help you figure out what all those
pesky running processes are:

http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/background-processes.html