[OM] Re: OT Getting straight

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Getting straight
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:55:43 -0700
> From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
>
> I've been trying to organize the hundreds of books here...
>
> My mother was a librarian, so it's all her fault. She taught me to
> love books.

Mine has a Masters in English Literature. Ditto.

  I just spent the past few hours Dewey-Decimalizing about 1/6th of
our library.

I had my own classification system in Oregon ("Computers", "Nature",
"Art", etc.), but when we moved, the classification system became
"what book will fit in this space in this box," and so in starting
over from Ground Zero, I decided to standardize.

I'm cutting 80-up labels in half, and used about a sheet and a
quarter so far. So 200 down, about 1,000 to go. The low-hanging fruit
are the ones that tell you on the back of the title plate what their
DDC actually is. We've got three fruit boxes so far full of ones that
we'll have to decide on our own.

:::: I will not be as those who spend the day in complaining of
headache, and the night in drinking the wine that gives it. --
Göthe ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::