[OM] Re: 50/3.5 odd sighting

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/3.5 odd sighting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:24:50 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, the flaws in your thinking have to do with sky fog and coma.  I
> would guess the 1.4 would cause excessive fogging from background
> skylight in short order due to the speed.
This part I don't understand. Does background skylight somehow come
through a faster lens more than the light of the intended subjects? My
understanding of light physics is that half the exposure time at one
stop faster should give exactly the same exposure for all lights in the
sky. Am I missing something?
> I would also guess that the 1.4 wide open probably has horrible coma.  <snip
> detail>
That makes more sense.

I thought thousgh that I had seen nice wide field shots with the coma
famous 180/2.8, but that may be faulty recollection.

Moose