[OM] Re: 50/3.5 odd sighting

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/3.5 odd sighting
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:33:52 -0400
Yes, the flaws in your thinking have to do with sky fog and coma.  I
would guess the 1.4 would cause excessive fogging from background
skylight in short order due to the speed.  I would also guess that the
1.4 wide open probably has horrible coma.  Stars have such a small
angular diameter that they really don't form an image in the
conventional sense.  They are tough customers when you try to take their
pictures.  If your lens has coma they will show it.  And coma is one of
those abberations that grows worse with the angle away from the optical
axis and speed of the lens.  Fast, wide angle lens?  Ugly, ugly star
photos unless you've got a Maksutov or Schmidt corrector which are
specifically designed to handle coma.  There may be more but that's all
I can think of at the moment.

Chuck Norcutt