[OM] Re: What 'da think of this Markins base plate

Subject: [OM] Re: What 'da think of this Markins base plate
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:27:32 -0700
I read the article Mike linked. The unfortunate problem with the
measurements is that his time scale typically spans 1 sec making it
hard to tell what happens in 1/100 sec.

Hmmm ... Markins is run by a photographer who can hand hold a camera
about 4 times steadier than the author of the article who is also a
photographer.

The author actually measured vibration. It looks like he has
documented that heavy very stiff mounting does produce a sharper image
(the time base being the major problem). Basically turn your camera
and tripod into a single very heavy, very stiff object with no parts
that can move relative to others. He is coming from the F = M x A or
perhaps acceleration = force divided by mass viewpoint.

Other interesting points with few graphs if any to support them; new
autofocus lenses built with easy movement for autofocus are a problem
when trying to get a very sharp image, solid metal to metal clamping
is much better than cork or rubber pads, the big heavy medium format
stuff with loud mirror slapping have less vibration than the 35mm
stuff, even the wind from a desktop fan has a dramatic influence on
sharpness ....

It is worth reading and thinking about.  ... and yes a large lead
weight solidly attached to the camera would give better test results
but the Markins tripod plate is intended to provide a very solid union
between the tripod and the camera.

-jeff