[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:50:24 -0600
On 3/10/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here we are swamped in a wave of usually crap US culture and absorb
> it like a sponge. Thus we have indigenous kids in the middle of the
> desert acting and dressing like they think that Paraburdoo is a
> suburb of East LA.
> The level of penetration has increased during my lifetime
> exponentially. As I've said here before, I have to teach my students
> that the emergency number here is and has always been 000, not 911
> although I think that the emergency services have now built in and
> automatic call diversion to cope with this one. There are many
> 'effects' like that.
> Now I must be careful because the list is murkin dominated (although
> it's based in France and discusses japanese gear) and someone will
> understand my concerns about US cultural imperialism as some form of
> insulting zealotry! :)
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When you get down to specifics, I really do feel bad about it.  I
suppose the Hasmoneans had similar gripes about those unsufferable
Romans.  "Cultural imperialism" suggests an intentionality that is
hard to pin to the wall though.  You and I, being of a similar age
though separated by distance and your colorful version of the
language, might have more in common than you and those young blokes
when it comes right down to it.

Joel W.