[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:37:43 -0800
Jan Steinman wrote:

> No, you get a Mac so you don't have to deal with virus protection,
> firewalls, nickel-and-dime additions like Bluetooth, FireWire,
> optical output, color management that works everywhere, UNIX
> underneath... I could go on, but I think Jeff is having an aneurism. :-)

(NOTE: This is not aimed particularly at you, Jan, your two posts just
happened to be the ones in a vast sea that hit me when I apparently
needed to vent. Whether or how much any of this part may apply to you is
your own affair. I am in no position to judge either your intent or your
actions.)

RANT Warning.

It's just so condescending, so self-righteous, and worst of all, so
repetitive, soooo boooorrrrriiiiing,.

I am neither ignorant nor stupid. I make my own choices with my eyes
open. When some of them turn out to be less than ideal, even simply bad,
I decide for myself whether and/or how to change the situation. I live
with my own consequences and don't blame anybody else.

I really don't need true believers who use zealotry as a surrogate for
real self confidence, self knowledge and actual critical thinking
beating on me ceaselessly to prove that they are right and are of worth
by converting me to their particular cause. Stand up, be true to
yourself, find joy and comfort in living your own life fully and stop
trying to find salvation through changing my life!

Do they really think I haven't heard it all before? That I wasn't
listening? That I may not, in some cases, know more that they do about
it? That one more bludgeoning will make me see the error of my ways? Not
bloody likely. The most it might do is make me irrationally refuse to go
their way even if things change such that it would make sense to me in
the future.

The above applies to religion. politics, choice of tools, choice of
recreation activities, choice of cameras, and so on...and... on.

Share what turns you on, share your joys and sorrows, share what's
happening to you. I hope you will enjoy some things of the same sorts
that I share.

When you start telling me that I'm wrong, and that you know what's right
for me, the pleasure of sharing dies. A time or two, sure, I'm way too
guilty to complain of that. But when the litany becomes continuous, no
new information or ideas, just repetition of how your beliefs,
posstision are better than mine, pleasure turns to annoyance, sometimes
to pain. Yours is bigger than mine! OK? Can I get on with my life now.

I DON'T WANT a Mac! Not even if it will increase my potency and make me
live longer. I have my own relationship to Jesus, global warming,
secular belief systems, politics, science, metaphysics, and again, on
and on. I often find ideas and discussion of these things interesting,
sometimes even exciting, often I learn things of value to me. But as
soon as the zeal to convert replaces the curiosity of mutual sharing and
discovery, I'm outta there.

As a personal practice, I try foods that I believe I dislike every so
often. I still don't like yams, even less with sugar or melted
marshmallows on them. But I know that from a year or so ago, not from
childhood. I have tried Macs, I have friends who use them, I have tried
out religious services of faiths I don't share. I find Jung fascinating
and illuminating. I find the Jungians of the Institutes narrow minded
and prone to turn what he says into the opposite of the words he wrote -
just like - many priests and other true believers.

I try to think, hear, see, etc. without blinders on. I may not be
perfect at it, but at least I am trying. I don't need any new pairs, thanks.

End of rant and on to just plain, bloody minded not letting
unsupportable, apparently un-thought-out statements go unquestioned.

Jan Steinman wrote:
> <snip>
> Actually one of my biggest insufferabilities is that I don't support
> monopolies.
So the iPOD dominance in its market is fine? Or do/will you choose other
players from underdogs? MS is a real underdog there, maybe you need one
of their players. ;-)   Or is it the other way round, one mustn't
support a business which is a monopoly in any of its major markets? In
that case, you need a new computer and I need a different operating system.
> Especially ones that flaunt their breaking of laws and
> court judgments. I don't do business with convicted criminals.

You are probably in luck there. Even if Steve did know about the stock
options shenanigans in the companies he runs, it's unlikely he will
actually be convicted. It's only convicted criminals you won't do
business with, right? Those who's hand's may be dirty, but didn't get
convicted, are ok?

You opened those doors, not me. Oh gosh, (hand to side of open mouth)
now I get it. Were you perhaps suggesting that I am a bad person because
I support monopolies and do business with criminals? Oh my, oh my, what
shall I do.

Moose - wringing his hand is consternation over his dilemma - Not.

::: Self-righteousness is it's own reward. :::
::: Pride goeth before a fall. :::
;;; No fallible human can know everything. Therefore, the house of
insufferability is built on sand. :::
::: Principles run aground on practice. :::

PS to Jan, Andrew and others. I am content now, please continue with
your Mac promotion and PC bashing as usual.