[OM] [OM & OT -- long] FL-40 flash on an E-500?

Subject: [OM] [OM & OT -- long] FL-40 flash on an E-500?
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 02:08:18 -0500
Does anyone on the list know whether an FL-40 flash (E-20 compatible) will work
on an E-500? I have an FL-50 also, but I was looking at the FL-40 last night
and it and the E-20 have the same hotshoe pin configuration as the FL-50 and
the E-500. Conversely, will the FL-50 work on the E-20? If not, why not?
Voltage differences?

My son and I are seting up a small studio operation. We have the space, stands,
umbrellas, lights, backgrounds, etc. and G5 Macs with Aperture and CS2. I am
planning to use an E-20 as an in-studio camera (w/AC adapter), heavy tripod
mounted with remote cord shutter control to dampen vibration. Won't print over
8X10s 95% of the time. I have an Epson 1270 printer. Eventually, I plan to use
the 1270 for proofs and send the digital files out for color printing. (FYI--my
local Sears photography studio used the E-20 extensively until the E-1 came
out; then they switched. The local Olin Mills outlet used the E-20 also. Don't
know what they switched to when they gave it up.)

I think I see an E-510 in my future because of the Live View with compensation
display and IS features. As of now, I have neither the money for nor the
interest in the next E-x super thingy. (But, who knows? I could find a winning
lottery ticket.) The E-510 should serve my interests well. For my E-500 I have
the 14-45mm, the 40-150mm zoom kit lenses and the 50-200mm zoom plus the
50mm/f2 macro lens, the EC-14 Teleconverter and FL-50 flash. My son has an E-20
and an E-300, the 14-45mm and the 40-150mm kit zooms plus the ZD 50mm macro
lens and FL-50 flash. He is waiting for the E-510 and the new 50-200mm super
Focus Zoom to make their debuts. As our interests and/or needs grow, so shall
out lens and equipment inventory.

I have some 35mm film resources at hand as well: 285HV, T-20s (2), T-32s (3),
OM-1s (2), OM-2, OM-4s (2), Winder 2s (2), Bounce Flash 2, cords, connectors,
way too many lenses from 20mm/3.5 macro to 300/4.5 telephoto, 2X-A
Teleconverter, Bellows/rail units (2), etc. The usual type of trove a fervent
Zuikoholic (since my Pen FT in 1969) might have stashed away. I have a couple
of 120 film cameras also. My Koni-Omega Rapid M still works well, as does my
old Yashimat. They deserve some attention. My darkroom is coming along. I'm
going to try my hand at some B&W. GeeBee et al have inspired me. I feel good.
Now I need some decent photo weather and stronger legs.  ;o)

P.S. Walt, I think it's time to strap on my Glock under my jacket, load up my
Maxima (sorry guys, no SUV) with photo gear and head out to find some
photographic or photogenic subjects within 500 yards of the road. If not, I'll
use the telephoto lenses to "reach out and touch them" if I can control the
vibration. I'll scout the area for alternative fuel sources while I'm out and
breathe some carbon dioxide under the closest trees to enable some oxygen
production. Perhaps I can find some time for meditation on the origins of the
universe and develop some profound philosophical observations about the fate of
mankind and the looming environmental, medical and political crises and their
impact on the war on terrorism, Iraq and radical Islamists. But, sorry guys,
there's no way I'm going to vote for Hillary or Obama.  ;o)

Robert