[OM] Re: Did it again!

Subject: [OM] Re: Did it again!
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:37:44 -0000

<snip>

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:15:28PM -0800, Jan Steinman wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the majority of *humans* are left-eyed. Your eye
> preference tends to be opposite your dominant hand.

Most rifle instructors I know would disagree.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC                    http://www.conmicro.cx

</snip>

That's exactly as I understand it, Jay.  Your eye dominance usually
follows your hand and foot dominance.  Where it swaps over is in the
brain - the left side of the brain "controls" the right side of the body
I believe, hence the left side of the brain is the dominant side in
right-handed people (and vice-versa).

Of course, there are a few people who are right-handed and left-eyed.
I'm one of them.  And although not aware of it at the time, it is one
reason why I am so comfortable with the OMs.  It wasn't until a friend
of mine asked me why I was looking through the viewfinder with my left
eye that I realised - I honestly had not noticed that I did that, it
just came naturally.

There is also a school of thought that those with opposite
eye-domination to hand-domination (or foot-domination) have reduced
hand-eye co-ordination.  I was always cr*p at football, but that may be
completely unconnected !

And yes, being left-eyed and right-handed does make it pretty hard to
shoot rifles.  But I managed for a good few years and became pretty
competitive at it too.  It's a case of forcing yourself to use the
non-dominant eye.  Sure, you can buy fancy sights with prisms, etc, so
you can use the other eye.  I found a piece of opaque plastic (cut out
of a milk bottle !) a few inches in front of my left eye allowed me to
use my right eye quite successfully.

To return to the original post, I don't know if anyone consciously
chooses (or chose) OMs due to being left-eyed, but it is quite possible
that they subconsciously just found them more comfortable to use.

Regards,

Jon