[OM] Re: #040 Whiston church

Subject: [OM] Re: #040 Whiston church
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:02:31 +1100
Horrible isn't it but I've seen much worse. But an artist can't get
away with saying - "I don't know much about art but I know what I
like doing."
I've had something to do with art students. Unfortunately they are
required to justify their own practice in this kind of way from the
earliest stages of their career to differentiate themselves from
others and to fit their work into a context. Of course it is nonsense
- technically 'humbug' rather than 'bullshit' I'd argue as the
practitioner actually comes to believe the babble rather than having
an awareness that they are talking rubbish. That's the way you assess
politicians anyway. Artists themselves are often annoyed at having to
do it and critics are the worst as it is their job to distinguish
between good and bad art.
When you intellectualise aesthetic endeavours, it's inevitable.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx