[OM] Re: Did it again!

Subject: [OM] Re: Did it again!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 03:11:11 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> No, you can be contrary, usually with accent on the 'a'
> Mary, Mary, quite contrary
> How does your garden grow?
> etc.
> No object required - not an adjective.
> Probably originally a contraction of 'contrary person' but that's a
> very old rhyme.

Much as I enjoy poetry, it is hardly a guide to prose usage.

In any case, I don't disagree with your position as a matter of English
usage. My position was one of logic, something in which you are surely
more learned than am I, but I persist nonetheless.

To be contrary, as I said before, is not logically possible without
something with which to disagree. It is possible to be dispepsic,
disagreeable (oddly enough), bloody minded, etc. in a free floating
state, but contrary has its root in counter, and that requires something
to be counter to.

In the case of the olde rhyme, the judgment of the state of the subject,
Mary, is the opinion of the writer, who is possibly influenced by the
actions and opinions of Mary, and more than likely the object of the
contrariness. Mary's opinions about her state of mind in not agreeing
with the writer are not known. It was not at all uncommon and only
slightly less so today and only in selected places, that any opinions
expressed or actions taken by women and children contrary to the desires
of men, were seen as being contrary, if not as heresy or witchcraft.

Thus I submit that the rhyme has no standing in considering my logical
position, or even supports it under further analysis.

Moose