[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:35:59 -0800
You take all of this with a grain of Salt, Verses those that take it with a
great assault? :-)

I've been using my digital cameras to collect data on a monthly basis for
the last 5+ years.

Every spring I redo the pant survey that was done in 1978, which was
rechecking the pant survey that was done in 1948.

In 1978 they found we had lost 4 plants in the basin and gained one.

I know, though don't have collated data (it will take years to do this) for
25 miles of trails done on a monthly basis year round. More data than any
other endeavor I can find has ever done, few 'scientific' collections of
this sort go more than a year anyway, much less as thorough in as large of
an area as I have taken.

I've gained a few plants, I've lost 3-4 more in the Basin and not all of
this can be attributed to the forest growing up. Some of them are moving up
in elevation as others are moving down in elevation. Rain fall is nothing
like it was 100 years ago when the first complete clear cut was accomplished
of this area.

If you know of anyone that writes grants and or is willing to work with me
on extracting useable data out of my general data (I have it sorted by
locations, rarely larger than 1 mile long), let me know.

It is a given, the world changes in climate, but so much of what I have read
over times shows we, the people of this planet, made major changes using
coal as fuel several hundred years ago. Eastern Europe was completely
deforested by AD 400, all of Europe by 900 AD and the fight went on for
centuries to get to the forests of Scotland and Ireland.

They now have solid evidence, that even scientist agree with the old
writings and oral histories, that the Cedars of Lebanon were the largest
diameter trees recorded in history, the 'Holy Land' was a temperate rain
forest and several sources documented  the destruction of it and shipping
the timber off to places like Egypt, and you know what we have left.

Man can accomplish so much in the name of 'progress' we have created an
immense number of things in the short period of our written history.
WE have made deserts where there were temperate and tropical rains forests,
but we have never made a forest, much less a rain forest where there was
once a desert.

Global warming is a given, check the temperatures and rainfall data of
Seattle area when I was a kid., 80 was rarely heard of, 62-65 inches of rain
a year normal. Now, after the 20+ years of drought on the West Coast,
Seattle gets 38-42 inches and the 90's to 100's occur. The Highs are higher,
the lows are lower and when it rains it rains harder rather than longer.
15-20 inches of rain in a week is no good for the environment that needs
that over a period of 3-4 weeks, and then gets only dry weather the rest of
the time.

We created that, just like we created the industrial revolution through the
space age. Why can't we own up to all of our creations?

Just a 'snapshot' of what I have observed or collected over the years.

Scott