[OM] Re: Can*n and innovation

Subject: [OM] Re: Can*n and innovation
From: "Allen Coltrin" <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:41:21 -0800
Geez, I think just about covers it.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:18:51 +0000

I think this thread is going to generate some heat, but let's take a
lighter look.....

Imagine if C*non's tried to match Micros*ft's recent behaviour:

Pictures taken with your C*non camera  could only be printed by C*non
printers.

Images would be stored in "extended" jpeg format which can only be read
by C*anon software.

Of course the new "extended" jpeg format would become an ISO standard,
taking at least 6000 pages to specify, but parts of it would be
proprietary and patented so anyone using it without paying a fee would
get landed with a lawsuit.

You would need to upgrade all your lenses when you upgraded your body.

Your camera would "phone home" to check that it was genuine and would
deny you access to all previously taken pictures if it wasn't.

You would need to pay extra for an "Ultimate edition" to be able to
reasonable things like post your pictures on t'internet.

All third party accessories would need to get "E*S certified"  before
the camera would recognise them and work with them, no more cheap
adapter to be able to use your old Zuikos!

.... I'm sure other could come up with more

Regards,

Mike.

Richard Lovison wrote:
 > Can*n reminds me of Micros*ft.  It seems to me that Micros*ft
 > "borrowed" many new ideas introduced by others, developed the ideas a
 > bit more, introduced them in their own products and squashed their
 > competition with a bigger war chest and crafty lawyers.

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Win a Zune??make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!
http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline