[OM] Re: ebay 500mm lens

Subject: [OM] Re: ebay 500mm lens
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:55:38 -0000
To the best of my knowledge "Carl Zeiss Jena" did form part of the East
German VEB Pentacon, along with many other esteemed German photo/optical
names, and over the course of time the various names were changed quite a
bit.  I don't doubt that the lens in question is a Carl Zeiss Jena design,
made in the Carl Zeiss Jena plant, but with the Pentacon name applied.

The origin of the name is PENTAprism CONtax - the Cont@x camera was
originally manufactured there.  Curiously, Pentacon was the original owner
of the Pent@x brand, and sold it to some Japanese firm with great plans.
As@hi Optical I think it was - anyone ever heard what happened to *them*?
;-)

NB it's important to distinguish "Carl Zeiss Jena" from "Carl Zeiss" - many
of the staff from Jena were evacuated to Oberkochen (I think) in West
Germany at much the same time as most of the plant was evacuated to Kiev.
There was, naturally, a dispute as to who had the rights to use the name -
Oberkochen or Jena.

Piers