[OM] Re: Allen's Big Lens Quest (LONG) WAS Re: ebay 500mm lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Allen's Big Lens Quest (LONG) WAS Re: ebay 500mm lens
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:39:06 -0800
Allen,

OK, now we are rolling...

Let's look at some general options for your needs. For wildlife you are
probably going to want coverage from 100mm to 1000mm equivalent (50-500mm in
real measurements). I can't address what would be best for astro photography
as I have no experience in this arena outside of taking a picture of the
moon. For people pictures unless you are going for surveillance work then
the range from 60-180mm equivalent (30-90mm in real measurements) is where I
would be looking. All of my suggestions are ones that are definitely
available in OM mount, as others have advised I would recommend sticking to
one mount for this project. If you open up to other mounts your options
expand so far that I doubt you be able to make a short list easily.

Now lets look at some prime lens options. Your 300mm f4.5 puts you in the
right sort of zone for the sit and wait scenario of wildlife pictures. As a
compliment to this lens you may want to look at the Zuiko 200mm f4 which
would give a 400 equivalent view (see the examples that AG posted recently
with this lens). Then you could add the Tokina 400mm f5.6 that I suggested
before and you would have a pretty solid set of options without breaking the
bank. These three are all slower lenses that will probably prevent all but
casual use of the teleconverters without making focusing harder than it
needs to be. If you upgrade to a faster lens say a 300mm f2.8 design you
won't be penalized as much as when using teleconverters. A good choice might
be the Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 which often comes with a 1.4x and 2x included as
a kit. For even longer reach with speed the Tamron 400mm f4 is a good
option. The main reason in my mind to consider the faster lenses is the ease
of use with teleconverters.

I suspect that you may be looking for the flexibility in framing that a zoom
lens provides. Now here is where things get interesting. In the manual focus
lens world two options spring to mind since weight is not an issue (you said
you are not hiking with this lens). For the shorter end an 80-200mm f2.8
design is the one I would choose. Both the Tamron SP and the Tokina AT-X are
respected here and come up in OM mount frequently enough to making finding
one easy. For a longer reach Tamron used to make a 200-500mm f5.6 lens in
the SP Adaptall range. Now this lens doesn't come up too often and but is
not excessively expensive for a lens in this focal length. There are other
options you might want to consider in the manual focus world such as the
Tamron SP 60-300mm f3.8-5.4. This is one that Moose frequently champions as
a more walkabout long lens.

Then we come to your options in the auto focus world that are dedicated to
the Four Thirds mount. Setting aside the high end lenses from Olympus, the
$6K 300mm f2.8 and 90-250mm, I would suggest you look at the DZ 50-200mm
f2.8-3.5 or perhaps even the Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 (aka the Bigma). The
50-200mm is a very solid lens and works well wit the Olympus DZ 1.4x for
extending the range. The 50-500mm is in my mind probably the lens you are
going to be happiest with. It offers a very big range in a usable package
(compare it on the Sigma site to their 300-800mm which is a $7K lens and
also not available in four thirds). Now these two may well be stretching
your budget I guess, but if you are serious about wanting to just buy one
lens and not have to go rounds trying other options then maybe saving and
waiting is the better plan. Right now there are no way near the options from
third party brands for the four thirds mount as that for Canyon or Nykon
(don't go looking our you will get upset).

Notes on versions and pricing:

Several of the lenses I mention above were made over many years and came in
multiple versions. Generally the later versions will be better than the
earlier one's. All the Tamron lenses are Adaptall mount lenses so you can
safely purchase any lens and change the mount. Looking across party lines at
the more obscure mounts can yield a bargain or too.

Tamron 300mm f2.8 SP

This lens can be found in three main versions. The first version is white
and does not have internal focusing. The second is green and has internal
focusing. The third and current version is black. Optically there is not
much between the green and black versions but the black version has a
slightly different internal baffle design that prevents use of the Olympus
1.4x. The white version is not very common but has slightly lower overall
resolution than the other two. Be prepared to pay up to $700 for a good
example of the green version with the two teleconverter kit.

Tamron 200-500mm f5.6 SP

Tamron have made several lenses with this focal length range. The SP f5.6
version is the one I would look for but it is not common. I would personally
avoid the earlier f6.9 versions, though they are more common. The SP will
probably be at least $500 though the most recent f6.9 should be around
$300-400.

Tamron & Tokina 80-200mm f2.8

A nice example of either brands lens should set you back $200-250 depending
on condition and if it comes with the hood and tripod mount. Since these two
items can be tricky to find on their own buying a complete set is
recommended.

Tamron 400mm f4

Not a common lens and you should budget at least $800 for this lens.

Tamron 60-300mm: You should be able to get this one for around $175 probably
less.

Olympus 200mm f4: You should be able to get this one for around $150
probably less. Look for a later black nosed example that is multi coated.

Tokina 400mm f5.6

This lens is often advertised as an AT-X but is sometime just listed as an
SD. As far as I know there is only one version. It doesn't come up often in
OM mount but should be had for around $150-175 possibly less.

Olympus DZ 50-200mm

This is an $850 lens new but a few second hand examples do come up each week
on eekbay though not at true bargain prices ($650-750 seems to be a common
range).

Sigma 50-500mm

This is a $999 lens new at B&H. There is something to be said for buying
this lens locally if you can. Sigma sadly do have a bit of reputation for
sample variation issues. If you do mail order this lens test it very
carefully on receipt and if you have issues return it for an exchange. What
seems to happen with Sigma is if you get a good one its really great but the
consistency is not always there on the rest.

Take some time to digest this information. Look at the Sigma and Olympus
sites for the new lenses. Also check out the excellent Tamron Adaptall site
www.adaptall-2.com to see the different versions.

Dan S.