[OM] Re: cleaning sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning sensors
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:29:59 -0500
I've done the Pec Pad and Eclipse routine with my 5D.  It took me 3
tries to get something that wasn't worse than what I started with.  I
then tried the brush method which works extraordinarily well
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.pdf>
and is very easy once you get a set of clean brushes prepared.  I bought
some cosmetic mask brushes on ebay for about $10/pair with shipping.
They needed to be washed in a bit of dish detergent to get manufacturing
dust out of them but after that they worked fine.  Don't skip the filter
test in the link above.  That's what pointed out that my brushes, as
received and despite being in nice cellophane wrappers were full of very
fine dust.

In the future I will always use the brush method first and reserve the
Pec Pad and Eclipse for welded on dust.

You also need to know when to leave well enough alone.  A few sweeps
with the brushes took away everything except a spot which only shows on
something like clear blue sky and f/16 or smaller aperture.  I don't
normally shoot in that territory so that spot will just have to wait.

Chuck Norcutt