[OM] Re: WTB

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:52:39 -0800
Scott Peden wrote:
> If that Quantry 500 mm f 8 is the same as my Seimar, look in the birds
> folder here, I just added 5 pics.
>
> I forgot to mention we had a breeze, the bird was trying to keep it's
> balance frequently
Yeah, one shot is pretty sharp except for tail movement.

> I had the shutter at about 80-100 though had it in auto for some time too.

That's just too slow, way too slow, both for camera movement and subject
movement. The rule of thumb for 35 mm is a minimum of one over the focal
length, or 1/500 for 500 mm. For 4/3, with the half size sensor, it 1/1000.
> Focusing isn't as easy as it appears, as it looked good, and just the
> tiniest bit of movement to the barrel and it gets better or worse.
Never is with long lenses. That's why the traditional technique for MF
has been to prefocus and wait for the subject. But you still need a fast
enought shutter speed to deal with the breeze movement.
> I tossed a whole lot of pics, though the trip pod would have helped a little,
> but not with the breeze!

This is where  even the modern miracle of IS is stymied. A still day or
shutter speed are about the only solutions.
> Focusing is the hardest part for me, wearing glasses then also trying to
> look around the corner to see the data inside the camera.
Focus with long, slow lenses is really tough. Again, the pros used to
prefocus. They also use blinds, so the birds simply arent so far away.
> I figure this is as good as the lens gets, I'm not going to throw it away,
> though I still want more crispness.

Looking at your photos and hearing about the shutter speeds you've been
using, I doubt you have reached the limits of the lens you have yet.
> Now, I want a sharper pic, Quantry is out, Oly is in, unless I can find a
> real cheapy deal on a Tokina or Tamron. I'll keep this mail for later
> shopping data Moose, thanks!

I know you are on the inexpensive trail and want to use MF, but you
should know that good, fast AF changes the whole game
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/FilmvsDigi/FvD03.htm>. And
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/PtLobos/LobosPelican.htm>
And
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/PtLobos/LobosSparrow.htm>
Low noise also helps a lot by allowing high shutter speeds - all shots
hand held with a relatively cheap 10.7x zoom with a so-so reputation.
Hmmm, what would a good lens do?  :-)   Actually, it's a good lens. I
just wanted to point out how very important technique and other aspects
of equipment are in long tele work.

Moose