[OM] Re: New Olympus Releases

Subject: [OM] Re: New Olympus Releases
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:34:56 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> For some it looks like the number of digicam releases is inversely
> proportional to their success in the marketplace.  Perhaps there's a
> lesson here.

Perhaps, but they may be following a well known marketing rule.

Many moons ago, some merchandiser in one of our divisions decided to get
smart. He looked at sales of the leading hair color. there were
something like 15 shades, but 3 or 4 of them accounted for 80% of sales
and 6 accounted for over 90% of sales. So he logically cut back to 6
shades. Sales plummeted for each shade and for the product as a whole.

Were he really smart, he would have realized that the manufacturers
already knew a great deal about marketing their product.

People often need a whole range of choices to contemplate before
eventually almost all choosing only a few of the options. I don't KNOW
if this applies to digicams, but looking at the introduction of digicams
and cell phones differentiated only by color, I wouldn't be surprised.

Moose