[OM] Re: Iowa Winter Zuikofest

Subject: [OM] Re: Iowa Winter Zuikofest
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:44:30 -0800
I was looking in Sibley's Western Birds, they showed a 1st and a second year
immature picture then a mature one.

The 'Golden Eagles" and a couple of other hawks in our neighborhood were
declared extinct in the 1970's (Mercury in the water) no matter how many
people said they had seen some, seems they have just been 'reappearing'. It
is assumed someone is 'illegally' reintroducing them, but we have no Bald
Eagles here and one or two reports of an Osprey though nothing confirmed. I
haven't gotten a pic of a Golden Eagle, but am pretty sure I know where a
nesting site is, which I need to document for a land conservancy.

I've shot a few birds with a couple cameras, the C-700 with the LX 8 Crystal
vue lens has worked better than the 500 mm Siemar? Lens I got and attached
to my E-500. Now I have to look for an Oly lens and or 2X-A adaptor to get
close enough to match that antique C-700 ultra zoom, which is real heavy
with that spotting scope lens on it!

The female Ca Hazelnut is about 5-8 mm across, I was using the E-500 with
the 40-150 kit lens, in reverse macro mode, hand held, holding onto the
branch too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55838750@N00/