[OM] Re: PMA show

Subject: [OM] Re: PMA show
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:46:11 -0600
On 2/15/07, monte <moont2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all
> I have a chance to go to the PMA show in Las Vegas the 8th as I will be
> in town for the Nascar race with friends.
> Olympus says it is going to come out with some new stuff.  what should I
> look for and what questions I should ask.

You'll presumably see the E-410 or whatever will be the Japan/NA
release of the E-400. Find out if it has live preview and sensor-based
image stabilization.

How fast will the newest small lenses made for the 400 series be?
Will they be mostly primes, mostly zooms, or a mix?  Will Olympus
introduce any affordable constant aperture zooms suited to the 400
series? (i.e., small, fast, and inexpensive -- we can dream, right?)

I'll be interested to hear how live preview lives on in models that
follow the E-330.  Will there be only live view B mode (manual focus).
 In fact, will there be any successor to the E-330 in a 300-style
body?  On models with live view, will the LCD be "articulated"
(movable) and to what extent?

When will the new professional body come out?  Will it measure up to
the Pentax K10D, its natural competition?  Will it surpass it in
features with live view B and superior image stabilization?  How will
Olympus achieve improvements in AF speed and reliability?

What is Olympus' current philosophy on in-camera noise reduction?  No
matter what sensor is used, it won't be considered the equal of the
Canon CMOS sensor for ISO speed and noise reduction if it is a CCD
type made by Kodak.  How will it overcome this perception?

What improvements have been made to the supersonic dust shaker?  Is
there a setting to move it from the startup to the shutdown sequence
to improve start up times?

What is Olympus doing to promote Four Thirds among third-party lens
manufacturers?

Thanks for asking and have a good trip!

Joel W.