[OM] Re: Rumour has it...

Subject: [OM] Re: Rumour has it...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:29:04 -0800 (PST)
> If it is made out of discrete components, it could be essentially
> the same. If it uses IC's they've surely changed in the 20? years
> or so since it was designed. Probably made in China ... could
> easily be using discretes.

I ripped apart another Vivitar flash a couple nights ago. Other than
the TTL stuff in that particular flash, there wasn't a single IC in
the design.  The stuff in the head looked like it could have been
made in 1968.

Anybody ever see how large those capacitors are in the 283/285?

BTW, I have found that the newest NiMH batteries *might* be slightly
problematic in flashes.  They have so much current capacity that I
think it can overwhelm the circuits.  On my 285HV one set of my
batteries will actually recharge the flash after a full-dump in just
under three-seconds, which is the same as if I have the flash
connected to an external HV source (ac adaptor).  While this might
not be an issue with the 283/285HV, it could be a problem with other
flashes that might not handle that kind of current.

AG

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail