[OM] Re: Flash Sync Speed

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash Sync Speed
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:03:47 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>> To me, it's not a camera if you're not seeing light that comes
>> through the picture taking lens. (Sorry, TLR fans! :-)
>>
> I tend to agree, although I include live view LCDs on digicams, so
> it's
> not only SLrs for me.

EEEWWW! I really can't stand electronic viewfinders. The motion lag,
seeing pixel edges, wondering what it REALLY looks like... I want the
actual photons, please!

>> The E-10/20 were groundbreaking cameras in that regard.
>>
>> You're right that the beam splitter cost 1/2 stop.
> Return of the pedant... Is the partial silvering weighted so that
> 3/4 of
> the light goes to the viewfinder? That would put quite a burden on the
> sensor system.
>
> If it's 50/50, the light loss to both viewer and sensor is one
> half, and
> that's a loss of one stop for each.
>
> Moose, who just can't seem to stop that little calculator in his
> brain.

No worries. I was approximating. The ISO rating is in multiples of
80, and I didn't feel like doing the log math to figure out exactly
what percentage of a stop that is from 100.

If it were one stop, I'd assume the lowest ISO would be 50, and I'm
also assuming that 100 would be par for the course. And you can say
all you want about what happens when you "assume"... :-)

:::: Getting a personal computer is sorta like getting married so
you'll have someone to help you with all the problems you never would
have had if you had never gotten married in the first place.
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/794637>