[OM] Re: Crapped out Quantum pack

Subject: [OM] Re: Crapped out Quantum pack
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 01:58:26 -0800 (PST)
I have just been modifying my TurboZ to increase current from the low volatage
output, so I can
run accessories or digi cameras etc from the "9V" output.
I did a partial circuit reverse engineer and it is actually rather well
designed using a
microprocessor gas guage and a current mode controller chip for the sw mode
invertor. You need to
put it through a test/break-in cycle after replacing batteries to calibrate the
gas guage/charger.
This is described in the manual for first use of a new unit.
Batteries are relatively easy to replace.

There are a number of sellers on ebay who will sell you a NiMh turboZ
replacement pack, with about
double the capacity.  Unfortunately unless you put it on a timer you are quite
likely to
overcharge it and it may loose a lot of extra capacity (I have not tested this
but it is a NiCd
designed smart charger, so likely not kind to NiMh). I replaced my Nicds with
some new NiCd's with
about 10% larger capacity and that works well.  The unit uses a pic
microprocessor to do the gas
guaging and charging control.  The unit draws large currents from the 4/5 sub C
cells. About 12A
peak and 6A average while charging the photo-cap. This all from a 1.2Ah
battery. You need high
current rated cells, not just any 4/5 sub C.

>From the design it seems like it would be easy to charge the unit directly
>from the cigarette
lighter of a car if you made a cable with a suitable din connector, although it
may not quite
reach full charge unless the car is running as it reaches end of full
charge.(it needs about
13.3-14V, like a running car at charge end).

Tim Hughes