[OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan update da jour
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:23:17 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
>> Things still not up to snuff
>> - Noise removal.  I could swear that it's gotten worse.
>>

> Oops, I meant to say "Dust and Scratch Removal".
Yes, I thought I noticed some oddities in its operation recently too. I
just haven't had a chance to look further into it. I keep copies going
back several updates, so I could possibly check - one of these days, maybe.
> ICE it isn't.
Never had ICE, so my ignorance is bliss. Does (or did) a pretty good job
with ordinary bits of dust for me.
> As to the Grain Reduction, I think it's doing much better than
> before--but does tend to soften edge-definition a touch more than
> GEM, but without the silly putty look.  Even the sharpening looks
> better.

I've never tried that. Any idea how it compares with NeatImage?
> Also, for those who aren't aware of some of the resent additons,
> Vuescan has both high and low Curves adjustment.
I used them extensively on a few rolls recently. It's sort of like using
Lightroom in concept:

- Scan all of a roll to RAW files.
- Batch preview from the files.
- Go through the preview images adjusting curves, brightness, etc.
- Batch scan from RAW to TIFF and/or JPEG.
> Prior versions only let you set the high/low points and that was about it.
> It's not unlike using ACR. (only a little clutzier).

Overall, I liked the results, and this workflow concentrates all the
creative work into one place, which I find much better than working with
one carrier of slides or negs a a time. Particularly with images of
similar subjects shot in similar light, it's easier to work on them all
at once. The 64 bit RAW files are huge, but one may dump them after
processing all the images and the work flow advantages make it worth it
to me. I can do the actual scanning mindlessly while doing other things
on the computer, then do the rest when I can concentrate.

What was missing is a way to apply the same corrections to a group of
preview images as I have just done to one. I found an awkward way to
sort of do it, but it's a real kludge. I'll have to see if a newer
version adds anything there. I found the sliders for the curve slow and
awkward. I found myself mostly typing values in the boxes, especially
when doing several images with the same needs.

I still haven't made up my mind whether I like doing it in VueScan vs.
just scanning rather passively, then doing the processing in PS.
> AG (doing my part to start the film revolution) Schnozz

You go Schnozz!

Moose