[OM] Re: I feel like a moron

Subject: [OM] Re: I feel like a moron
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:49:36 -0800 (PST)
Piers wrote:
> Excellent news of your redemption, AG!  But how about a hint of
> what you did to get there?

Will do.  I think I'll do a write up on it and put it up on my
website.  There is a total dearth of information out on the web on
scanning.  You'd think that it's some big trade secret or something.
Or it probably has more to do with the fact that nobody really has a
clue what to do.  That could help explain why "digital is better than
film".  I frequent a couple of scanning lists and most people have
just given up and use digital or exclusively use positive film.

I've always run into funky colors with scanning negatives.  For
instance, skintones will frequently look like the horrid pancake
makeup your mom used to wear or the sky is tinted green.  This fix
completely eliminated that.  I had a couple of PP steps to clean that
up, but then something else just hinted of being off.

I've got the scanner setup now where it reads the base and
automatically corrects for that as well as adjusting the dynamic
range for the roll.  Really cool since I can go from one type of film
to another and it corrects everything automatically. Furthermore, if
I want, I can have it autoexpose per image, but that is something
I'll probably keep off as my exposures are usually dead on (brag,
brag, brag) and it adds a lot of time to the scanning.  However, on
one test strip that had bracketed exposures, it nailed the exposure
for each shot and the midtone was correctly placed.  I learned to not
let it auto-adjust the white-balance, though.

For slides, I still prefer VueScan, and the new version now outputs
as DNG.  But for color negatives, the workflow and image quality I'm
getting from the Nikon Scan software is really good.

AG

Never Miss an Email