[OM] Re: OT - Digital Compact - Any Can*n S80 Owners Out There?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Digital Compact - Any Can*n S80 Owners Out There?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 01:57:39 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> I just took a look at the SP350 on dpreview.  Looks like a nice camera but
>> what is it with 38mm equiv on the low end.  I'd like a pocket size
>> digital camera but I won't buy anything that doesn't go to 28mm equiv.
> Yeah, I agree, I'd prefer the equivalent of 24mm at the short end, not to
> fussy about the tele end at all.
> Unfortunately it seems having the biggest "x" is what sells, not the actual
> utility of the camera.

I suspect it's more than that. I think it's more to do with $. It looks
like there are technical/cost problems with going wider. Look at the
price when new of the S80 vs. the otherwise competitive models from
others and the dpreview test comments on lens performance at the wide
end. Somebody will likely work it out, but for now, I think making a
3-4x zoom with 28mm or wider eq. at the price points required to get any
volume are working against you.

Moose