[OM] Re: Free Microsoft Office Replacement

Subject: [OM] Re: Free Microsoft Office Replacement
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:36:54 +0100
Le mercredi 24 Janvier 2007 23:05, Mike Lees a écrit :
> I find the latest version very good - reads and writes MS Office formats
> well, and has a database app (like MS Access) included now.

As much as I despise the Jet engine of Access (for being way too buggy
already), I still urge everyone NOT to use Oo.o Base. While promising, this
database component is still very beta and very likely to crash badly on you.
On top of that, it's also painfully slow. Oo.o has all the required
components to make sense of external databases (odbc, jdbc, plain sql), so if
one really needs to input data into documents, then it's still better to use
a conventionnal DB (and free, too) along Openoffice.org, such as MySQL.

--
Manuel Viet