[OM] Unsung attribute

Subject: [OM] Unsung attribute
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:00:30 -0800 (PST)
Every once in a while I get to photograph unusual situations. This
weekend, it was a funeral.  Funerals kinda go in spurts for me and
it's been a while since photographing one.

My usual camera of choice is the Minolta A1, which issues a
click-declick when taking a picture.  But since it's currently on the
fritz (Sony defect), I used the E-1 instead.  The key here is to be
discreet.

During the funeral itself, I shot just under 100 pictures from the
back of the room.  A person in the back row knew I was going to take
pictures and she could just barely hear the shutter.  But another
person in the back row wasn't even aware that I took ANY pictures.

It's very misleading.  With the camera up to your face, you think it
sounds like a shotgun going off.  But afterwards, I experimented and
held the camera behind my back and I could barely here the shutter
and the sound was actually quite pleasing.  Frankly, the creaking old
pews made far more noise than my camera ever could make.

I would suggest, though, that the SHLD-2 battery grip does make a
difference.  I think the added mass of the battery grip further
dampens any resonance in the camera.  Frankly, I am so pleased with
the vibration resistance of the E-1, that with the SHLD-2 I don't
think I can even feel the shutter-shock in my hands.

Anyway, discreet I was.  The family was concerned about the
photography being bothersome, but later said that they weren't aware
that I took photographs.

Others have compared the E-1 to the M7 in quietness.  I don't think I
disagree.  This is one of the greatest assets of the camera and a
feature which is highly underrated by reviewers and pixel-peepers.

AG

Have a burning question?