[OM] Re: Remote flash trigger has me baffled

Subject: [OM] Re: Remote flash trigger has me baffled
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:42:45 -0500
I posted about essentially this same problem very recently.  I have two
different kinds of these triggers including the 16 channel version here.
  Both types will fire all of my various flash units including the Alien
Bee studio units.  However, neither of them will fire my latest flash
acquisition which is a Canyon 540EZ.  Actually, they will fire it once
in a great while... once out of perhaps 15-20 tries.

After consultation with Tim Hughes (some of which I think appeared on
this forum) I've come to the conclusion that the problem is related to
the low trigger voltage level of this particular flash.  My particular
540EZ has a trigger voltage of (if I remember correctly) 3.35 volts on
AA batteries and 3.75 volts on a high voltage power pack.  Most of my
old flash units are in the 10-12 volt range and the Alien Bees are
unknown to me except that the spec says less than 6 volts.  I did try
the 16 channel radio slave on a friend's Canyon 580EX which measures
4.25 volts and the slave fires that one with no problem.  So, I think
somewhere between 3.75 and 4.25 volts is a threshold for these low cost
triggers where they're simply not able to pull the switch closed.

Since I last posted on this subject I've heard from another 540EZ owner
who kindly measured his flash for me and reports that his shows 4.75
volts on fresh AA's.  That's substantially higher than mine and I don't
know why they should be different.  Unfortunately, I only know the
trigger voltage of that flash and not whether it will actually work with
my radio slave.

Perhaps you can add to the data base by measuring the trigger voltage of
your FL-36.  Tim had given me instructions on trying to find the limit
using a string of diodes.  I said then that I wasn't inclined to
experiment since it didn't matter to me that this particular flash
didn't trigger with the slave.  I bought it specifically for on-camera
flash in the dark since it has a whopping 15 meter range on its
autofocus assist light.  However, now that I know another 540EZ measures
much higher than this one I'm tempted to sell this one and buy another.
  But, of course, I don't know if it's going to work or not.

What does *your* flash measure?

Chuck Norcutt