[OM] CD longevity and E-1 images

Subject: [OM] CD longevity and E-1 images
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:38:44 +1300
Hello all,

I just checked my oldest E-1 CDs and they are legible. It seems amazing -
I've had that camera about 2 years now, and hardly ever look back over those
old images. In those days I didn't even know how to load it with film. How
times change.  I write a CD for every 256MB CF card-ful, and am about to
start # 31.

So I am now on track to order the Delkin gold.  My WV friend is OK to relay
a parcel.

On another tack, we had a discussion about safeguarding Archival CDs,
starting with flooding and typhoons. We never concluded how to deal with fire.

I suggest making boxes of what we call gib-board. 16mm thick gib-board has
a fire stop rating of 2 hours.  A box within a box of this stuff, separated
with
fibreglass batt material should be good for 5 hours of fire. USA residents call
gib-board drywall

A drywall panel is made of a paper liner wrapped around an inner core made
primarily from gypsum plaster, the semi-hydrous form of calcium sulphate
(CaSO4.½ H2O )  Much of the fire protection comes from the cooling
resulting from the forced evaporation of that 1/2 H^2 0 molecule.

The key thing ( check Wikipedia) is to NOT penetrate the gib-board with
holes or metal.

HTH

Brian